When the end of the world is announced to be coming in three weeks the people in the movie do most of the things you'd expect. They stop showing up for work and school. They start traveling and trying to reach family and friends. Of course, there's looting and general lawlessness. I was shocked to see parents giving their kids drugs and alcohol, because at the end of the world, people just don't care anymore, apparently.
It was, however, a good starting point for me to be thinking about the end of my life. Hopefully it doesn't come with world annihilation, obviously. I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep many, many years from now. I know we don't actually get to choose how we go, but we do get to choose how we are remembered.
What would I like to be remembered for?
- Being kind. I won't boast 100% here, but I think, for the most part, I 'm a kind person. I know of a few people who don't seem to care for me, but I think that's mostly on their end. I'm never deliberately mean and I go out of my way to be nice to people as often as possible.
- Being creative. I love to make things, especially in the kitchen and with fabric (not at the same time!) I enjoy coloring and building and doing those sorts of things with my kids.
- Being generous. I don't have a lot of money to deal with, but I've always tried to be generous with my time. I volunteer at my kids' after-school program. I teach Sunday school. I try to lend a listening ear whenever I see the need.
- Being genuine. What you see is what you get. I really dislike people who say one thing to your face and another behind your back. Or act one way with one group and another way with a different group. My memory sucks and I just don't have the capacity to remember different personalities for different situations. I'm all me, all the time.
- Being funny. Ken may beg to differ, but I think I'm pretty funny. I like to laugh and be silly. I most often make fun of myself. I tell stupid jokes over and over again. According to some things I've seen online, I have a "dad" sense of humor.
- Being a good teacher. I've spent time in lots of different classrooms, both in paid and unpaid positions. I hope that all the students I've come in contact with have left my presence wiser than they were. Life is a great classroom!
- Being laid back. There are very few things that ruffle my feathers. I'm good at going with the flow and taking what life deals me. I know ultimately where I'll end up, so if the journey gets off track once in a while, that's okay.
- Being helpful. I have a hard time saying "no." If someone needs something from me, I try my best to make it happen. I'm open with advice and personal anecdotes and have proudly earned the title MamaRabia with my students at work. Cooking for one? Working out an issue with a boyfriend? Roommate issues? I will do my best to offer a few words of wisdom and a hug if needed.
- Being a great mom. I almost wrote "good," but I"m going to take a minute and own it. I'm a great mom. My kids are well adjusted, brilliant, quirky, fun, and just ornery enough to keep you on your toes. We've all got issues because we're all human; but at the end of the day, I can honestly say I'm doing the best job I know how.
- Being a great wife. I remind Ken of this often. ;) He usually agrees!
Tuesday Ten is a fun linkup created by Lisa @ The Golden Spoons and Rabia @ TheLiebers. Each Tuesday we make a list of ten things and link them up to share. At the end of each post we post the topic for the next week. Anyone can join in! If you would like to be added to the mailing list without linking up, click here. We hope to see you on Tuesday!
1) Link up a post, old or new, pertaining to the TuesdayTen topic for this week and add our TuesdayTen button to your post or sidebar.
2) Please do not link up contests, product reviews, or sponsored posts. Links not pertaining to the topic will be removed at the hosts' discretion.
3) Visit your hosts and follow them on social media.
4) Visit as many other linked posts as you can and show those bloggers some love by commenting and/or sharing.
5) By linking up you agree to be subscribed to our #TuesdayTen mailing list. Emails are only sent once a week and you can unsubscribe at any time. If you would like to be added to the mailing list without linking up, click here.