Are you still here? Phew! Thanks for sticking with me. I like the smell of coffee, and I've certainly brewed a good number of pots for my mom and husband over the years. I just don't care for the taste. Plus, at some point in college, I had to give up caffeine and I don't tolerate it well now.
So in case all you Java Heads out there are wondering how you start your day without coffee, I'll tell you what works for me.
1. I wake up at 6. Truthfully, I usually wake up slightly before six naturally, but I allow myself to stay in bed and day dream a little until the alarm goes off. Ken prefers the radio to a buzzer, so after the alarm starts, we stay in bed a little longer listening to music.
2. Shortly after 6, our local station runs the news. I like to listen to see if there are any pressing, local updates I need to hear. Usually there aren't, which is nice. Boring is good, when it comes to local news.
3. After the news (and a few commercials) comes the weather. Sure, I could look it up on my phone, but waiting for it on the radio gives me just a few more minutes to stay in bed before I start my day. As I'm listening to the weather, I start planning my outfit for the day.
4. Shower time! I aim to be in the shower before 6:15 on weekdays. Frances' alarm goes off at 6:20, and the boys' alarm goes off at 6:30. 10 Internet bonus points if you can guess who gets out of bed first...It's HENRY!! He's a morning person if I ever met one. He's usually dressed within 2 minutes of the alarm going off, and he comes in the bathroom to go potty while I'm in the shower.
5. I hope you're not easily grossed out, but Ken and I shower together most mornings. :) It's a good time for us to chat and talk about the upcoming day. Plus it saves water and time!!
6. After showering and getting dressed, I start herding the kids to where they need to be. I usually follow them around the house putting in earrings or brushing my hair and yelling things like, "Brush your teeth!" "Eat your cereal!" "Where's your backpack?" We have a chart, but it's not foolproof yet.
7. While the kids are finally eating breakfast, I can concentrate on getting mine together. Occasionally I take it with me to work. I prep my lunch and pack the kids' lunches if they haven't already.
8. Hopefully there's time to empty the dishwasher in the morning before I leave. On a really good morning, I can get that done and get breakfast dishes in too.
9. I yell, "FIVE MINUTE WARNING!" and shoo Frances off to the bathroom to finish getting ready. This is when I make my mad dash around the house to make sure I've got all my stuff together and the kids do too.
10. Frances and I aim to leave the house around 7:10, but most mornings it's closer to 7:20. Ken puts the boys on the bus, so I typically use this time to chat with Frances about girl stuff, or just get ignored while she's reading her latest book. What can I say, "like mother, like daughter!"
Mornings are a little crazy, but I've gotten used to it by now. I'm more of a morning person than a night person, but that's not to say I enjoy getting up at the crack of dawn. I've never felt like I was missing out by not drinking a cup of coffee every morning, and if I can't start a new habit of making my bed every morning, it's doubtful that I'll turn into a coffee addict any time soon. I'm much more of a hot tea person anyway...decaf, of course!.
How does your morning start? Coffee? Tea? Diet Coke??
Tuesday Ten is a fun linkup created by Lisa @ The Golden Spoons and Rabia @ TheLiebers. Each Tuesday we make a list of ten things and link them up to share. At the end of each post we post the topic for the next week. Anyone can join in! If you would like to be added to the mailing list without linking up, click here. We hope to see you on Tuesday!
1) Link up a post, old or new, pertaining to the TuesdayTen topic for this week and add our TuesdayTen button to your post or sidebar.
2) Please do not link up contests, product reviews, or sponsored posts. Links not pertaining to the topic will be removed at the hosts' discretion.
3) Visit your hosts and follow them on social media.
4) Visit as many other linked posts as you can and show those bloggers some love by commenting and/or sharing.
5) By linking up you agree to be subscribed to out #TuesdayTen mailing list. Emails are only sent once a week and you can unsubscribe at any time.