This week for #AskAwayFriday, I am paired up with my friend Echo from Domain of the Mad Mommy. She has an awesome sanity saving tip you are going to want to check out! Echo and I met through a Facebook group of funny people. She and I have a similar sense of humor since I was totally able to get away with calling her a hussy last week. You might think that would have been the end of our friendship, but apparently not!!
Shortly after this conversation, Echo posted that she needed a swap buddy for this week, and I jumped at the chance to ask her some questions. I figured I'd already been rude to her, I might as well be nosy too!
If you're not familiar with #AskAwayFriday, it's a great way to meet new people and get really nosy! You pair up and swap ten questions with your partner to be answered in a post on Friday. #AskAwayFriday was created by Penny of The Real Housewife of Caroline County, and is now hosted by these #AskAwayFriday hosts…
Tiffany from Mrs. Tee Love Life Laughter,
Christy from Uplifting Families,
Stacey from This Momma’s Ramblings
Amber from Bold Fit Mom
1. Let's talk names! You and I both have unique names. Both of my siblings have normal names. My children are kind of in between. How did you choose your kid's names? (Just for the record: I always pronounced your name correctly in my head)
My siblings have totally normal names too!! That's weird how that happened to both of us. You can read the story of my name here and check to see if you are pronouncing it correctly. As for the kids, they have pretty normal, but not popular, names. My criteria were pretty simple when I named them. I was teaching, and I basically decided that I didn't want to call out a name all day and then go home and call it out some more. I didn't want to look at my kids and have flashbacks of "that kid" in my class. We decided to go with pretty classic names that also honored family members. Benjamin's name was the toughest because I was totally convinced he was going to be a girl and we weren't prepared with a boy name when he was born.
2. Penguins. What's the deal? Are they your favorite animal?
Yes, penguins are my favorite animal! Why wouldn't they be?? They are are so cute!! The gist is that I visited an aquarium on a high school trip. They had a huge floor to ceiling enclosure with penguins. You could see them jumping around on the ice and you could also see then swim past you in the water. I was fascinated. I think I missed the rest of the exhibits because I wanted to spend so much time there. I used to collect them more often, but I still have quite a few penguin items around the house and in my office.
3. I've noticed that you like to make lists. What are your favorite lists to make?
My favorite list is a to do list. And my favorite part is crossing off all the items until I can throw the list away. There's just something so satisfying about scratching through that last item on a page!
4. You have been blogging since 2007. That is quite the accomplishment. What is the best piece of advice that you can give to new bloggers?
Link to me! Hahaha! Just kidding. I mean, you can do that if you want, but it probably won't get you very far! I guess my best piece of advice is to blog for yourself. Write what makes you happy. Interact with the people that support you. You can probably maintain a blog for other reasons, but I'm not sure it would be as fun.
5. Would you rather take a romantic vacation with no kids or a family vacation?
As much as I'd like to say romantic vacation, I really honestly think I'd rather have a nice family vacation. Ken's work schedule is such that he doesn't get to spend a lot of time with the kids. When he has the rare weekend (or even just Saturday OR Sunday) off, we try to spend time together as a family.
6. If you could learn how to cook one thing perfectly, what would it be? (Bonus: What is the best thing that you cook right now?)
I want to learn to cook my dad's spaghetti. I've gotten the basic recipe figured out, but it never quite tastes right. And the hard part is that there really isn't a recipe, per se. He just starts adding things and it turns out amazing every time. My biggest hurdle is that his sauce is always so much thicker than mine.
On the other hand, I think there are a number of things that I cook well. I found this awesome recipe for beef with broccoli that will make it hard for me to ever order Chinese food again. I also make an awesome potato salad. Henry loves my sloppy joes. Frances loves the yogurt soup recipe that I got from my mom. Ken says my oatmeal raisin cookies are better than anyone else's. And Benjamin...well, Benjamin likes peanut butter sandwiches!!
7. If you could bring back ANY TV show for a new season, which show would you bring back?
Buffy! Or Angel!! Or, wait...maybe The Cosby Show. NO!! The Golden Girls! I loved that show!! But then I'd get even further behind on my current shows. I honestly don't think I've watched a non-animated show all month!
8. You are a co-author of a fabulous book! Have you considered writing your own?
I've thought about it, but every time I come up with a story line I feel like it's been done before. Then I tell myself that all the story lines have been done before and the details are what set it apart. But then I tell myself it's still copying someone else. Maybe someday I will resolve this argument in my head and get something on paper.
9. You and I have similar senses of humor. Tell me a joke. Make me laugh. DO IT!
Seriously!?! Tell a joke under pressure! Ack!!
What's brown and sticky??
Don't like that one?
OK, try this...
What's pink and fluffy?
What's blue and fluffy?
Pink fluff in disguise!
How'd I do??
10. What are the top 3 blog posts that you have ever read or written?
This is a toughie!! Narrowing things down to just three awesome blog posts seems pretty daunting. So I cheated. Sorry: my blog, my rules.
These are in my "Top 3" written by other people:
- 28 Ways to Show Your Child You Love Them
- 12 Misbehaviors and the God-Given Gifts Behind Them (I think back to this one frequently)
- Carpe Kairos
- Last years' birthday post (35 Good Deeds for my 35th Birthday)
- Stages of Motherhood as Told by Movie Titles
- I Hope You Mess Up Big Time
Do forget to stop by Echo's blog and check out her answers too!